Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kitchen Serving Needy


This letter to the editor of The Day, New London, CT, appeared in the Tuesday 31 July. edition  Can we gather the information and see if we can help??


Kitchen serving needy is forced to close
Mary Howland Former director FAMILY Kitchen Mystic

It is with a heavy heart that I write to tell your readers that F.A.M.I.L.Y. Kitchen housed at Faith Lutheran Church, has closed. We served a free meal to anyone who came, every Monday night for nearly three years. We served over 6,000 meals, and handed out dog and cat food, as well as kitty litter. Regretfully, I have become ill and can no longer work the hours it took, nor do the physical labor that was involved.

I want to tell everyone that we had the finest staff of volunteers I have ever worked with in my 30-plus years of volunteering.

I also would like to note my appreciation for the Faith Lutheran Church, Stop & Shop of Groton, and all those who donated. Left over money and food stuffs will go to other organizations serving the needy.

I will miss our patrons terribly and wish them the best. If there is a church out there who wishes to take up this effort, please feel free to contact me, and I will advise on the start up. I can offer advice only at this point, but the need is very real in our town, and I pray someone will step up.



No comments: