Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mystic, CT - Signs of the Times


I really liked the old sign identifying Mystic that you see in this blog.  I assume that the first sign one sees coming off of I-95 that has been taken down will be replaced by the style of the new sign at the train station.  I have no objection to the new sign.  I also do not think that the citizens of Mystic need to hold an election to express our opinions and decide the way the sign should look.  That would be a fine New England custom.  However, the power of graphic representations is widely acknowledged.  What does our town and the institutions in it symbolize to ourselves as well as to outsiders?  At the same time I asked this question I have wondered how the change in population since 1990 might affect our answer to the question.  1990 - 2,618; 2000 - 4,001; and 2010 - 4,205  Population change is only one of the factors that causes shifts in our perceptions of ourselves as well as the way people perceive us.

1 comment:

Kent Richards said...

The signs were being repaired and are back again. They look terrific just as before. See http://stonington.patch.com/articles/the-welcome-to-mystic-signs-are-back