Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Post 9/11 Thoughts and Forgiveness

Have any of you been stunned by the fact that the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 seems to have come and gone without much new reflection?  There was a burst of energy around the days immediately preceding and for a brief time afterwards. 


Maybe I have just missed those reflections but would certainly like to hear about them.

My thoughts on the occasion of the 10 year anniversary may not be new reflections.  However, they surround the difficulty of forgiving.   First, I think the only way to forgive is to give up the right to revenge.  Second, once we have given that up we need to clearly understand that forgiveness is in part a matter of conscience.  Third, when we forgive we offer a gift that enables us to discover freedom.  Fourth, forgiveness often seems outside my human capabilities.  That is when I look for another source to give me assistance in offering forgiveness.

The legacy of 9/11 must in part draw us to reflect on forgiveness.  What can draw us forward from 9/11 and not backward?
  

No comments: